Suicide bomber in Pakistan kills at least 42 at food center

Los Angeles TimesDecember 25, 2010 

PESHAWAR, Pakistan — A suicide bomber dressed in an all-enveloping burqa struck a crowded food-distribution center in Pakistan's volatile tribal region on Saturday, killing at least 42 people and injuring more than 60 others, officials said.

The attack in the town of Khar, the administrative center of the Bajaur tribal area, came amid ongoing fighting between Pakistan security forces and insurgents in the region bordering Afghanistan. A major clash in the neighboring Mohmand tribal area about 24 hours earlier had left 11 troops and about two dozen militants dead.

With as many as 1,000 people lined up in the morning chill, awaiting food aid, the attacker first hurled grenades into the crowd, then detonated a payload of explosives. Hours afterward, officials were still trying to determine whether the bomber was a woman, or a man disguised as one.

Witnesses described a horrific aftermath, with mangled bodies and bloodied clothing scattered over a wide area, and wounded people crying out for help. The most critically injured were taken to hospitals in Peshawar, the nearest large city. Officials said the death toll could rise if some of them died.

Most of those at the distribution center were impoverished refugees who had been displaced by fighting between Taliban militants and the security forces in Bajaur and elsewhere along the border with Afghanistan. More than 300,000 people have been driven from their homes by a military push against the insurgents that began in 2008.

"People come to the center before dawn and wait their turn to get food," said Ansar Khan, who witnessed the attack. He said the attack began moments after guards stopped the burqa-clad assailant at a checkpoint just outside the distribution area.

On the Afghan side of the border, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said it had killed two insurgents in night raids in the provinces of Khost and Logar on Friday. Many militants affiliated with the Taliban and the Haqqani network take shelter in Pakistan between staging attacks on Western troops inside Afghanistan.

The NATO force also said Saturday that a deadly raid on a compound in the capital, Kabul, a day earlier was prompted by a "credible threat" of attack against the U.S. Embassy. Two men were killed in the attack on the compound, which belonged to a private Afghan security company, and Afghan officials suggested that it might have been a case of mistaken identity.

NATO and the Afghan government said an investigation was continuing.

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service