It was late in the evening of 1 August 2008 in the Syrian coastal city of Tartous when the sniper fired the fatal shot. The target was General Muhammad Suleiman, President Bashar al-Assad's top security aide. Israelis, the US embassy in Damascus reported, were "the most obvious suspects" in the assassination.
- Related Stories:
- WikiLeaks cables roil India's political landscape
- Bank of America says it'll block payments for WikiLeaks
- WikiLeaks cables indicate Cuba sought 'secret channel' to U.S.
- WikiLeaks: U.S. officials pushed Brazil to buy Boeing fighters
- WikiLeaks' Assange granted bail by U.K. judge
- WikiLeaks: U.S. frets over Peru's army, resurgent Shining Path
- WikiLeaks: U.S. having trouble tying Assange to Manning
- Poll: People behind WikiLeaks should be prosecuted
- WikiLeaks: Cables reveal U.S. military role in Muslim world
Copyright 2015 . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.