The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
A suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest detonated in the midst of a U.S. foot patrol in al Athuriyeen marketplace in Doura neighbourhood, southern Baghdad at 11 a.m. Thursday killing fifteen people including three U.S. soldiers and injuring 30 people including five U.S. soldiers said Iraqi Police. The U.S. military confirmed that three Coalition soldiers were killed and is withholding their names pending notification of their families.
An IED hidden in a plastic bag and planted in a waste paper basket in Mamoun Police Station, western Baghdad detonated Thursday morning killing two policemen and injuring 20 people including eight civilians who were at the police station to issue documents.
A roadside bomb targeted a police patrol in Zafaraniyah neighbourhood in southeast Baghdad injuring three policemen and two civilians.
A suicide bomber wearing a suicide vest and dressed in Sahwa uniform detonated amidst a gathering of Sahwa members waiting to be paid at one of the military centres in Kirkuk City at 7 a.m. Thursday. The explosion killed eight Sahwa members and injured seven others.
A roadside bomb targeted the motorcade of Kirkuk Chief of Police, Brigadier Burhan Tayib in Korneesh Street, central Kirkuk injuring one of the security personnel and dcausing damages to one of the cars.
An IED exploded while it was being defused by a bomb squad in al Aswad area, 4 km to the north of Baquba. The explosion injured two members of the squad.
- Insurgents threw a grenade at an Iraqi army patrol in Mosul on Thursday. Three people were wounded including two soldiers.
- Around noon two gunmen opened fire on two brothers in Bab Al-Toub in downtown Mosul on Thursday. The two brothers were wounded and were taken to the hospital for treatment.
- In the afternoon gunmen killed a mother and her daughter in their house in the Al-Quds neighborhood in eastern Mosul. The two women were seamstresses in the neighborhood and they were poor.
- Police found a dead body for a 25 year-old woman in Rahidiyah neighborhood in northern Mosul around noon.
- Police found a dead body for a man who was abducted yesterday in Tahreer neighborhood in eastern Mosul in the afternoon.
2009 McClatchy Newspapers