If parents want to raise generous children, what works? Years of looking into which youth experiences best predict giving by adults offer some clues.
Independent Sector, a group of major nonprofit organizations, found the activities below the most closely linked to adult generosity. They're in only rough rank order because respondents could name multiple activities.
- Seeing an admired person who isn't a family member help others.
- Seeing a family member help others.
- Doing volunteer work.
- Raising money door to door.
- Being active in student government.
- Belonging to a youth group, such as the Boy Scouts.
- Being active in a religious organization.
- Being helped by others.
The biggest deterrent to generosity: not seeing a family member help others.
Source: Giving and Volunteering in the United States survey.
MORE FROM MCCLATCHY
McClatchy Newspapers 2009