N.C. governor tells officials to propose cutting entire programs

Raleigh News & ObserverJanuary 28, 2009 

RALEIGH, N.C. — Gov. Beverly Perdue said Wednesday that she has asked administration officials to go back and find more programs to cut in the face of the $2 billion shortfall in the state budget.

Perdue has received a list of options for a seven percent budget reduction for the fiscal year that begins July 1. The list includes at least $470 million in cuts.

But Perdue said she was not satisfied with the cuts that had been recommended, most of which were across-the-board cuts. She asked that the departments identify more programs that can be eliminated altogether.

"They have sent me a list of what the 7 percent would look like," Perdue told reporters after speaking to a Raleigh breakfast sponsored by Lillian's List, a pro choice women's group.

"I have specifically asked [budget officials] for some programmatic cuts, not just across the board," Perdue said. "This looks to me like a lot of across-the-board cuts. I find it hard to believe that there are not things that could be eliminated."

Read the full story at newsobserver.com

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service