McClatchy Washington Bureau
Posted on Sun, Jun. 15, 2008
Documents from McClatchy's investigation
Tish Wells | McClatchy Newspapers
last updated: October 06, 2009 05:17:22 PM
LEGAL CASES REGARDING DETAINEES
DOCUMENTS AND MEMOS
COURT-MARTIAL FILES FOR THE FOLLOWING SOLDIERS (broken into small PDF files)
- Origins of aggressive interrogation techniques released by Sen. Levin's committee, 6/16/08
- Tab-1 (.pdf) Request for Approval of Counter-Resistance Strategies. Partial document of the War on Terrorism Detainee Interrogation Working Group including the Summary of Analysis and Recommendations Pertaining to Unlawful Combatant Outside the U.S. Graph of Proposed Interrogation Techniques, pg. 46-59
- Tab-A (.pdf). Tab-A: Documents on Interrogation Techniques, legalities and memos. Tab-C: Memo from Attorney General John Ashcroft regarding the National Security Council's discussion on the status of Taliban detainees. Tab-D: Background Information on Taliban Forces. Tab-E: Memo for Alberto Gonzales, Re: Status of Taliban forces under Article 4 of the Third Geneva Convention of 1949. Tab-F: Counter-resistance techniques memo. Tab-G: Memo to Vice President Cheney and others, re: Humane Treatment of al Qaeda and Taliban detainees. Tab-H: Memo for Commander USSouthcom, re: Counter-Resistance Techniques
- Tab-J (.pdf) Tab-J: Memo for Commander USSouthcom, re: Counter-Resistance Techniques in the War on Terrorism (S): Memo from Department of Justice, office of Legal Counsel regarding the detainees, treaties and the laws of armed conflict.
- Tab-K (.pdf) Tab-K: Memo from Department of Justice, Office of Legal Counsel regarding Potential legal constraints applicable to interrogations of person captured by the U.S. Armed Forces in Afghanistan.
- Tab-L (.pdf) Tab-L: Memo from Department of Justice, Office of Legal Counsel to Counsel to the President, Alberto Gonzales, concerning the legality, under international law, of interrogation methods to be used during the current war on terrorism. August 1, 2002
WILLIE V. BRAND
- Willie V. Brand: Chronology of court martial. Verdict and Sentencing. Articles discussing Bagram.
Recommendation from the Judges Advocates in the case of U.S. v. PFC Willie V. Brand. Articles discussing enemy combatants. Defense request Post Trial Article 39(a) session and continuance. CJTF180 Interrogation techniques memo discussing various techniques and their usefulness. Character reference for Willie V. Brand - Milton Lowe. Character reference for Willie V. Brand - Cindy Buis and Edward Buis. Character reference for Willie V. Brand - Betty Siffel. Character reference for Willie V. Brand - Diana Elaine Lowe, CRI. Character reference for Willie V. Brand - Steven K. Clerk.
- Brand-3: Memos dealing with Post-Trial requests. Service record of Trial.
- Brand-4: Article 32 investigation. Direct examination - Special Agent Angela Birt. Direct examination - Sergeant First Class Gerald Hawkins, pg. 16. Direct examination - Special Agent, Resident CID Daniel Flores III, pg. 21.
- Brand-5: Direct examination - Lieutenant Colonel Elizabeth Rouse, USAF. Direct examination - Specialist Brian Cammack, pg. 16. Memos. Sworn Statements (1,2,3) - Private First Class Willie V. Brand, pg. 37.
Sworn Statements (1, 2, 3) - Gerald A. Hawkins. Sworn statements (1, 2) - Thomas V. Curtis, pg. 22.
Memos regarding the Article 32(b) investigation. Memos regarding soldiers for all Military Justice purposes. Reduction in rank for Willie V. Brand.
Sworn statement - First Sergeant Betty A. Jones. Sketch of Isolation Block #1, #2, pg 12-13. Memos for file. Handling of reports from the International Committee of the Red Cross.
Proceedings of a General Court-martial, 5 May 2005. Examination - Col. Stephen Pence. Examination - Angela Birt. Examination - CW2 Daniel Flores III. Examination - George Chigi III. Examination - Willie V. Brand. Examination - Captain Eric Segarra. Examination - John A. Raymer. Examination - SSG Marianne C. Plummer.
Examination - Angela Birt. Examination - CSM Duane Fredrickson. Examination - LTC Elizabeth Rouse, Air Force.
Proceedings of a General Court-martial, 5 May 2005. Examination - LTC Elizabeth Rouse, Air Force. Examination - CW2 Daniel Flores III. Examination - Sergeant Gerald Hawkins.
Proceedings of a General Court-martial, 5 May 2005. Examination - Private Brian E. Cammack. Examination - CW4 Angela G. Birt.
Sworn statement - Squad Leader, 377th Military Police Company, Neil R. Berkley. Separation proceedings for Willie V. Brand. Letter of instructions - unexcused absence.
Sworn statement - Specialist Joshua R. Claus. Sworn statement - Specialist Glendale C. Walls. Sworn statement - Specialist Selena M. Ryan, pg. 13. Statement - Damien M. Corsetti. Sworn statement - Staff Judge Advocate Col. David L. Hayden, pg. 21. Baton chart graphic, pg. 39. Sworn statement - Judge Advocate Jeff A. Bovarnick, pg. 41.
Sworn statement - Supply Officer Brett C. Buelterman. Sworn statement - Specialist Jeremy M. Calloway. Sworn statement - Specialist Jeffrey A. Davis. Sworn statement - Sergeant James P. Boland Jr.
Memos on the "logbooks" used at Bagram detention facility. Essential findings of fact roundup.
- Brand-16: Post-trial and appellate rights regarding the General Court Martial.
- Brian Cammack: Record of Trial
Unsworn statement of Brian Cammack.
Testimony of Sgt. Michael Brewer. Statement of James P. Boland, Jr. Advice on Disposition of Court-Martial Charges Against SPC Brian E. Cammack. Statement from parents of Brian Cammack. Statement from Valley Haven Personal Home Care. Certificate from Boone Country Water Rescue. Dept. of the Army report of results of trial. Court-martial charges transmittal form. Pre-trial Allied Forms.
Prosecution Exhibits Admitted: Stipulation of Fact, Sworn Statement, Letter of Instruction, unexcused absences. Defense Exhibits Admitted: Stipulation of expected testimony, Appellate Exhibits, PreTrial Offer. Section III. Offer to plead guilty. Appendix I. Post-Trial and Appellate Rights
Transcript record of Court-Martial, part 1.
Transcript record of Court-Martial, part 2.
DAMIEN M. CORSETTI
- Corsetti-1: Chronology sheet. General Court-Martial Order no. 20. Article 32 Investigation. Charges. Grant of Immunity to Sgt. Selena Salcedo and order to testify. Sworn Statement, Capt. Carolyn Wood. Sworn Statement, Waheed Abdul Ayazi, Titan Services.
Sworn statement: Jennifer Higgenbotham, Sgt. Sworn statement: Selena Salcedo. Report of investigative activity - Ahmed Muhammed Ahmed Hazaj al Darbi.
Pretrial Allied Papers. Report of Investigative Activity. Statement of Ahmed Muhammed Ahmed Hazaj al Darbi. Sworn Statement Waheed Abdul Ayazi (to clarify earlier statements). Sworn statement under oath: Salena Salcedo.
- Corsetti-4: Record of Proceedings. Prosecution Exhibits Admitted. Deposition of Ahmed al Darbi.
American Forces Information Service - Al Qaeda Manual drives detainee behavior at Guantanamo Bay. Stipulation of Fact. Defense exhibits not released. Appellate Exhibits: Motion for Admission of deposition of witness, Response to Government Motion for Admission of Deposition (Ahmed al Darbi), Motion to suppress eyewitness identifications, Govt. response to motion to suppress eyewitness identifications, Motion to compel discovery, Motion for appropriate relief, Response to motion for appropriate relief.
Motion for delay. Gov response to motion to delay. Motion for judicial notice. Memo to Vice President Cheney and others, re: Humane Treatment of al Qaeda and Taliban detainees. Response to motion for judicial notice. Pretrial Order. Notice of Appearance. Motion for Continuance. Motion for bill of particulars. Response to motion for bill of particulars. Motion to compel discovery. Discovery request. Response to motion to compel discovery. Motion for appropriate relief.
- Corsetti-7: Motion for delay. Response to motion for appropriate relief. Government response to defense motion to delay. Motion for judicial notice. Memo to Vice President Cheney and others, re: Humane Treatment of al Qaeda and Taliban detainees. Response to request for Judicial notice. Motion for admission of deposition of witness. Determination of the Deputy Secretary of Defense re: Ahmed al Darbi. Response to Government Motion for admission of deposition of witness. Motion to suppress eyewitness identifications. Government response to Motion to suppress eyewitness identifications. Notice under MRE 404. Response to Government Motion to admit evidence under MRE 404(b). Request to appoint Dr. Jerry Post to the defense team.
- Corsetti-8: Government response to defense motion to abate and motion to compel discovery. Deposition of Ahmed al Darbi.
- Corsetti-9: Report of Deposition Irregularity. Essential Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Ruling defense motion to suppress eyewitness identification. Essential findings of fact, conclusions of law and ruling government motion to admit deposition. Essential Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Ruling defense motion to compel employment of expert consultant. Essential Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Ruling defense motion to abate. Defense motion for continuance and to re-open deposition. Motion for appropriate relief. Government response to motion for Article 13 credit.
Essential Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Ruling government motion to take judicial notice. Flyer: Violation of UCMJ, Article 92. Findings worksheet. General Order number 1A. Government requested panel instruction No. 1. Findings instructions to the jury.
SALENA M. SACEDO
- Salcedo-1: Court-martial data sheet. Transcript of Direct Examination of Major Hopper. Memo for record: Letter of Input for Salena Sacedo.
- Salcedo-2: Joint Service Commendation Medal Sgt. Selena M. Ryan. Appellate Exhibits. Pretrial Order. Motion for a bill of particulars. Motion in Limine. Motion for Judicial notice. Response to motion in Limine. Government motion to prohibit the defense from improperly referring to the detainee as a terrorist. Essential findings of fact.
- Salcedo-3: Appellate Exhibits (continued). Motion to compel. Argument - United States v. Sergeant Salena Salcedo. Essential Findings of Fact. Offer to Plead Guilty. Request for Trial Before Military Judge Alone. Post-Trial and appellate rights. Memo to Vice President Cheney and others, re: Humane Treatment of al Qaeda and Taliban detainees. Letter of input for Selena Salcedo. Executive summary of the report of the Independent Panel to Review - Detention Operations. Service of Record of Trial and Post-Trial recommendation of the Staff Judge Advocate. Pretrial Allied Papers.
- Salcedo-4: Record of the proceedings of court-martial. Prosecution Exhibits Admitted: Stipulation of fact. Defense Exhibits Admitted: Request for Leniency for Sgt. Selena Salcedo. Recommendation for award.