The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
- Around 6 a.m. four mortars hit the Green Zone, Iraqi police said.
- Around 8 a.m. A roadside bomb targeted Iraqi police patrol near the Shaab stadium, injuring three policemen.
- Around 11 a.m. Iraqi police said 6 rockets targeted the Green Zone, two of them hit the Green Zone and four others hit different areas of Baghdad. One hit a residential building in Kamaliyah killing five civilians and injuring 8, one hit cars parking yard near the Qadiri shrine in central Baghdad injuring 5 civilians. The other two hit different areas in Karrada causing no casualties.
- Around noon gunmen in three civilian cars opened their machineguns fire towards civilians near a cooking gas factory in Zafaraniyah, killing 7 civilians and injuring 16 others.
- Around 3 p.m. a suicide bomber driving a car bomb targeted civilians near a gas station in Shoala neighborhood, killing 5 civilians and injuring 7.
- Around noon a roadside bomb targeted civilians on Uqba bin Nafia square, injuring two civilians.
- Around 5 p.m. two rockets or mortar shells hit the Green Zone, a third missed its target and hit in Sadoun street, injuring one civilian, Iraqi police said.
- Around 8 p.m. a mortar shell hit residential buildings (called the Palestinians' buildings) injuring four civilians.
- At 8:26 p.m. several mortar shells or rockets targeted the Green Zone fell short and hit different areas 3 in Karrada and 1 in Arasat killing 2 and injuring 7 civilians. Another hit a house in Sadoun Street, killing 5 civilians from one family.
- Police found 6 dead bodies throughout Baghdad, one in Zayuna, one in Shaab, one in Amil, one in Bayaa, two in Palestine St.
- Around 7 a.m. a suicide bomber drove his truck bomb into an Iraqi army headquarter in the industrial area west Mosul, killing 13 soldiers and injuring 30 soldiers and 12 civilians.
- A suicide bomber driving a car bomb targeted an Iraqi army convoy in Al Nour neighborhood in Mosul, killing one officer and injuring 3 soldiers and 7 civilians.
- A roadside bomb targeted an Iraqi army vehicle in Al Hadbaa neighborhood in Mosul, injuring 7 civilians.
- Iraqi police found one dead body in Mosul.
- Iraqi police said U.S. troops killed 14 men and injured five people including a woman then used aerial fire to hit four homes in Al Dahalga village (about 28 miles east of Baquba). The U.S. military said they killed 12 men that were a part of a suicide bombing network. Six of them had shaved their bodies in "final preparation" before conducting a suicide attack. They said in a statement they were attacked by the men and killed five then asked them to come out of the building. Seven more were killed when troops entered the building. They said they discovered ammunition, grenades and assault vests. Five people were detained. They did not mention aerial bombardments.
- Gunmen killed citizen Ali Hassan in front of his house in central Baquba, Hassan was returning home yesterday after he was displaced.
- Gunmen killed Brigadier General Akram Awad Radhi and his driver as he was heading back to Baquba from Abu Saida area (about 12 miles east of Baquba).
- Gunmen attacked policemen in central Baquba killing a police lieutenant and injuring two other policemen.
- A mortar shell slammed into Al Gatoun area west Baquba, killing two civilians and injuring one.
- A mortar shell slammed into Kanaan town (about 9 miles east of Baquba) injured an infant girl and a woman.
- Gunmen using two cars attacked an Iraqi army fixed check point to monitor a main road south of Kirkuk (about 16 miles) killing four Iraqi army soldiers and burning their Humvee.
- A suicide bomber driving a car bomb targeted the house of Al Muatasim town (about 12 miles south of Samarra) mayor yesterday, killing 3 policemen and injuring two civilians.
- A roadside bomb planted in front of a police sergeant house in Al Qibla area (5 miles west of Basra), causing no casualties.
2008 McClatchy Newspapers