The daily Iraq violence report is complied by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
- Around 8 a.m. a roadside bomb targeted an Iraqi police commandos patrol at Qahtan square near Yarmouk neighborhood ( west Baghdad) .Two of them were injured with some damage to their vehicle.
- Around 8:15 a.m. a roadside bomb targeted an American patrol under Ibn Hayan bridge near Aden intersection in Hurriyah neighborhood (north west Baghdad). No casualties reported.
- Around 10 a.m. a roadside exploded on the bridge of Beirut intersection (East Baghdad). One civilian was injured.
- Around 11 a.m. an American patrol defused a roadside bomb at the same place of Beirut intersection.
- Around 11:30 a.m. a roadside bomb exploded at Talbiyah neighborhood (east Baghdad). Two people were injured.
- Police found four unidentified dead bodies in Baghdad: two were found in Doura in south Baghdad (Karkh bank) and the two others were found in Waziriyah in north east Baghdad (Risafa bank).
- In the early morning, the Iraqi army found a mass grave with the remains of 10 bodies in Al-Ahaymer village ( 3 km east of Baquba) .
- This morning, gunmen killed ten people in Salam, Ameen, Tahreer and Jirf AlMilh neighborhoods in Baquba after the Sahwas decision of leaving the city and not cooperating with the Iraqi and multi-national forces.
- Friday night , gunmen kidnapped Sheikh Mamdan Abdu Al-Samad Abdu Allah , Imam and orator of Al-Quds mosque in Hamdan neighborhood (downtown the city) .
- Police released four detainees who were arrested yesterday after questioning them. While eyewitnesses said gunmen kidnapped four Christians in Basra city, security forces clarified the matter saying We arrested four men, one Christian and three Moslems who work for the Church of Norway and were suspected of performing missionary activitie." They didnt mention when or where those men were released.
- At dawn, five gunmen attacked one of the headquarters of Iraqi guards at Al-Yawa village near Banjaween (100 km north of Sulaimaniyah). One officer was injured in this attack.
- At dawn , the Iraqi SWAT team raided a house in Al-Dhibat neighborhood in Samarra. The squad killed the Qaeda leader Abu Omar Al-Douri, also known as Mahmoud Susa. Security forces had many charges against him and the last one was killing a member of the Moslem Scholars Association in Salahuddin province few days ago.
- Police found five dead bodies in of the the wells at Tarqiyah village in Abassi district, west of Kirkuk. Two of the dead bodies were Iraqi national guards while police continue to investigate the identities of the other three.
- Saturday afternoon, a suicide car bomber was about to target an Iraqi army checkpoint at Hadbaa neighborhood in Mosul, but the soldiers opened fire on the car before it arrived. Four people were injured in the incident.
2008 McClatchy Newspapers