The daily Iraq violence report is complied by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
- Around 9 a.m., a roadside bomb exploded at Mansour neighborhood ( west Baghdad) at district 605. Some commercial shops damaged in that incident with no casualties recorded.
- Around 12 p.m., gunmen opened fire on an army check point killing three soldiers and injuring 2 others.
- Around 12.30, a roadside bomb exploded at Zafaraniyah neighborhood (south Baghdad) . No casualties reported.
- Around 3 p.m., gunmen assassinated the dean of Dental medicine, Munthir Ridha, at University of Baghdad.
- Police found ( 4 ) unidentified dead bodies in the following neighborhoods : ( 3 ) were found in Risafa bank ( east Baghdad ) ; 1 in Shaab , 1 in Husseiniya and 1 in Binouk. While one was found in Saidiyah neighborhood in south Baghdad ( Karkh bank).
- Tuesday evening, gunmen assassinated Ali Suleiman Mohammad, a lecturer at Mosul university on his way home from a mosque to Wihda neighborhood in downtown Mosul .
- Tuesday , a squad of the Iraqi army killed a gunman in Mosul city and confiscated his car.
- Around noon, an explosion brought down a three-stroy building in Zinjabily area ( west of Mosul ) killing 10 people and injuring 70 others , police said. They also added that the security forces got news that the building had weapons and ammunition inside when the security forces arrived the building was destroyed. While the deputy governor, Khisro Koran,of Mosul said that 7 people were killed and about 50 others injured.
- Wednesday afternoon, a roadside bomb targeted AlHay neighborhood ( downtown Baquba) near one of the quarters of the Sahwa council injuring two members of the Sahwa .
Kirkuk - Tuesday evening, a roadside bomb targeted the head of Kirkuk police operation centre, Colonel Yadgar Shukr Abdu Allah. - Wednesday, gunmen kidnapped two Kurds citizens on the way between Tuz Khurmatu and Suleiman Beck (south of Kirkuk ) .Those two kidnapped are from Kafri village ( 150 km south of Sulaimaniyah). - Wednesday evening, a car bomb in a BMW targeted a local market of Tuz Khurmatu (south of Khurmatu ) killing 5 people ( including one woman) and injuring 12 others ( including 2 women). Also 6 cars were damaged in that incident.
- Around 7 p.m., gunmen kidnapped an engineer ( Ali Mahmood ) from his house at the Basra international camp ( north west Basra), police said.
2008 McClatchy Newspapers