The daily Iraq violence report is complied by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
- Around 8:30 a.m. two roadside bombs exploded near the national theater in central Baghdad. The first bomb targeted civilians injuring six civilians. The second bomb targeted police patrols that rushed to the place injuring two police officers.
- Gunmen and members of the awakening council clashed in Al Sadriyah area. The leader of the awakening in the area Khuthair Lafta was killed in the clash and two members of the council were injured and four civilians were injured.
- Four mortar shells and one rocket slammed into the Green Zone today, Iraqi police said. The U.S. military declined to comment on the incident, but a U.S. source said three mortars landed in the area and there were no reports of serious injuries.
- Iraqi police said that American helicopter gunships injured five civilians in Baladiyat. A U.S. military spokesman said there are no reports of any gunships firing in the area.
- Police found bodies throughout Baghdad, one in Baladiyat, one in Camp Sara, two in Waziriyah, two in Saidiyah.
- A suicide vest bomber targeted a joint checkpoint of the Iraqi police and local awakening council in Al Shirqat, the members of the checkpoint shot at the suicide and killed him before he reached the checkpoint. Short time after a suicide car bomb approached the checkpoint and the members shot at the car that exploded before reaching its target yet it killed one policeman and injured three other members of the check point.
- A rocket targeted Fallujah police directorate missed its target and hit a residential house causing damages to the house and no casualties. Police said ten suspects were detained from Al Masalma area southern Fallujah were the rocket was launched from.
2008 McClatchy Newspapers