The daily Iraqi violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. Its posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchys Washington Bureau.
- Around 10 a.m. Gunmen released a man after packing explosives into his car this morning in Saidiyah. The car exploded as the man was driving through a police check point. The freed hostage was killed and two policemen were injured.
- Around 11 a.m. Gunmen stormed engineers Adeeb Abdul Salam house killing him with his wife in Saidiyah.
- Around 1 p.m. a mortar shell landed in Zafaraniyah. 4 civilians were injured.
- Around 8 p.m. U.S. troops bombed Al Husseiniya district. 2 people injured, Iraqi police said. No U.S. military confirmation in time of publication of this violence report.
- Police found 7 dead bodies throughout Baghdad. 1 in Sleikh, 1 in Mashtal, 2 in Amil, 1 in Saidiyah, 2 in Bayaa.
- Iraqi army handed two dead bodies to Al Muqdadiyah hospital today.
- A road side bomb exploded in Al Mualmenn area in Al Muqdadiyah. 1 man was killed and 5 others were injured.
- Police found one dead body in Baqouba today.
- Gunmen killed one man in Buhruz today.
- Two rockets landed in Kirkuk neighborhood yesterday. 2 residents from one family were killed.
- Karbala police chief Brigadier General Raed Shakir Hamed survived a road side bomb explosion eastern Karbala two days ago. 3 body guards were killed.
- Clashes in Al Askari neighborhood in Karbala between U.S. and Mahdi militia fighters broke today. 9 of Mahdi Army militia members and one woman were killed in the clashes and 25 were injured including women and children, said Rahman Mishawi Karbala police spokesman. A U.S. statement said that the troops killed no civilians in the raid and 5 insurgents were killed in a clash that started when gunmen attacked the joint troops, thae statement said also that about a dozen insurgents were killed by a precision aerial fires.
- Gunmen killed the head of Iraqi lawyers syndicate Hussam Al Nahi in Basra today, eyewitnesses said.